Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Lessons Potatoes Taught Me

You know, it's not every day that your brother comes home with a fifty pound box of Idaho potatoes (perks of working at RC Willey). It really calls for a celebration, and my attempt to cook suffices. I never knew there were so many recipes for potatoes, until I dived into the Pinterest search engine. After  countless hours of research (okay, really just a few impatient minutes), I settled for the good old mashed potato recipe.
These might last a while... But I don't mind-- more time
for me to practice my cooking!

As I was peeling the potatoes, I couldn't help but think about an experience I had with my younger sister, Daniela. I took her out to eat for some special sister bonding time. When she asked me for a different meal, after she had already received her food, I told her no. She crossed her arms, furrowed her eyebrows, and scowled at me (like most eight year olds would). This wasn't the first time this happened to me, but it was the first time I thought to really confront the issue.

At my school, we've been working on this project to fill boxes with clothing items and toiletries for children in the Philippines. These children, who have nothing, marvel at the idea that someone in a completely different part of the world would donate their old, used belongings. And here I found myself, sitting in front of a child who was dissatisfied with a meal some children only dream of receiving. At first, this kind of annoyed me. I mean, how could we be so ungrateful? Then, I remembered that, even in our pouty moments our Heavenly Father loves us. I realized that Heavenly Father looks at my sister with understanding, loving eyes. Thus, I changed my perspective and explained these things to my sister.

Immediately, she understood. She was humble. She even apologized and thanked me for her meal. Man, kids are so humble. We should all be like kids.

And now I'm back in the real world, peeling these potatoes. You know, cooking really isn't too bad. I'm lucky enough to be in this kitchen, and have this endless box of potatoes. Let's just hope my family REALLY likes mashed potatoes.
Really, I didn't even make a dent in this box.
So. Many. Potatoes.

I think if I wear this apron, I might just
become a "domestic diva." *crosses fingers*

This is it for now, but never forget to count your blessings, thank your Father, and always opt for optimism.

Love, Camila






No comments:

Post a Comment